City Seeking Members for Tourism Committee
The Maryville Tourism Committee is being organized as a result of the approval of the Transient Guest Tax, approved November 8, 2016. The purpose of the Tourism Committee is to help facilitate efforts towards enhancing the vitality and broadening the economic base of Maryville through the development and promotion of tourism.
The Maryville Tourism Committee will consists of a nine (9) member board appointed by the Mayor, with the consent of the City Council, for three (3) year terms.
One representative will be appointed from each of the following organizations who have a vested interest in the tourism industry; Greater Maryville Chamber of Commerce, Nodaway County Economic Development, Maryville Downtown Improvement Organization, Northwest Missouri State University, City of Maryville, and Maryville Parks and Recreation. Three (3) other members are being sought to represent the general interests of the community. All members shall reside within the City of Maryville. One (1) member of the City Council serves as liaison in a non-voting capacity.
The duties of the Tourism Committee shall be as follows:
1. To act in an advisory capacity to the City Council and City Manager in all matters concerning tourism. Duties may include preparation and data review, analysis, and review of other pertinent information to recommend strategies for action to improve tourism within the City.
2. To facilitate communication, cooperation, and scheduling efforts between the City of Maryville and Northwest Missouri State University with regards to events and planned activities at the Northwest Multipurpose Complex.
3. To provide recommendations to the City Council regarding transient guest tax revenues to promote and develop tourism in the city.
4. To explore and suggest comprehensive marketing projects, including advertising media buys, creation and distribution of printed or electronic promotional tourism material, or coordination of efforts to recruit conventions, sporting and other events to the community.
5. To perform such additional functions relating to tourism as may be delegated to the Committee pursuant to a project, policy, or resolution by the City Council.
Anyone interested in being considered for one of the three (3) open positions on the Maryville Tourism Committee is encouraged to complete an application and submit it to City Hall, Sheila Smail, City Clerk, P.O. Box 438; Maryville, MO 64468 or by emailing it to the City Clerk at email@example.com .